Periodic Forest monitoring and inventories provide rigorous and certifiable state of forest resources and changes, ecological and environmental conditions, their social, energetic and carbon stock value, also for climate change effects mitigation.
Forestry is one of the main consolidated target for Remote Sensing, the most efficient way to accurately and regularly monitor vast areas, which play a vital role in regulating both Earth climate and citizens livelihood.
GAF and e-GEOS, being “one stop shop” in acquiring and managing Optical and Radar imagery and thanks to their long experience, provide users (national-federal forest authorities, forest owners, wood industry and insurance companies) with:
- Forest maps, monitoring (coppice structure, high forest) and changes
- Forest damages by fire and meteorological events
- Forest inventories, density, volumes and Carbon stock assessment
- Eco-system indicators and analysis
In Tropical-Equatorial zones where could cover is persistent, the processing chain of COSMO-SkyMed constellation, also due to band X capability in canopy evaluation and measuring, allows and enhances forest detection and advanced technical capabilities, particularly:
- Large area coverage in short time, also at high resolution (3m)
- High frequency monitoring capability for key sites, up to four daily data everywhere
- Background mission facilities: long-term monitoring over important worldwide forests since 2011
- De-forestation, re-forestation and afforestation tracking, also at large scale
- Forest degradation detection and monitoring
GAF and e-GEOS, through a consolidated processing capability and managing in optical/SAR satellite/aerial data and local ancillary information can offer the above products/services through flexible solutions, web tools and on specific requirements.